Screen Replacement

• Has anyone had a third party repair shop to replace their SP4 screen after it started flickering? And If so, did the flickering stop or continue? Thanks!

• I'm writing from Singapore and there's a local shop here (Digital Hospital) that does 3rd party screen replacements for the Surface laptops, but it costs almost as much as what Microsoft charges, plus the display is not a Microsoft original part but rather a compatible.

More importantly, the shop provided some very good advice on 'flickergate'. Apparently, what's happening to all of us is that the thermal paste in the Surface Pro 4 dries up over time and the over-heated screens flicker in response to inadequate heat venting. As far as I'm concerned, this is a hardware issue due to in part to poor thermal design, but mostly because of the poor choice of display component used by Microsoft that's susceptible to overheating. FYI, I'm running the SP4 model with the slowest processor (Intel Core m3), but it's also fan-less.

The shop told me that even if I send in my Surface Pro 4 to them, it's still necessary to replace the 'heat damaged' screen, in addition to putting in new thermal paste. I've decided to send my out-of-warranty Surface back to Microsoft Singapore for a replacement with a refurbished unit. It'll cost me SGD638 ($682.66 after GST) but I figure I'll at least have a spare laptop... which I'll probably only be able to use for very light computing and in an air-conditioned environment!
    I've since moved on to a Dell XPS 13, but I do miss the digitizer pen sometimes.

It's pretty easy to replicate the screen flicker issue. You don't need to run a CPU stress test, just plug in your Surface, set Power Option to always screen on and device on, and stick the Surface into a bag or computer case. It'll heat up pretty quickly and the screen will begin to flicker.

• I would also like to know if replacing the screen will stop the flickering issue. Or is this just a temporary solution until some other hardware issue damages the new screen?

• @bungee hi, is it possible to have the thermal paste replaced? as a temporary solution.

• I don't believe its a hardware problem if this issue showed up recently... Looks like a firmware/driver issue.

To answer your question I had replaced battery recently when I was travelling and was in Shenzhen, China on visit.

• @leandro said in Screen Replacement:

I would also like to know if replacing the screen will stop the flickering issue. Or is this just a temporary solution until some other hardware issue damages the new screen?

Fixed my Surface. New screen is wonderful.

Looks like your connection to Flickergate Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.